Earlier known as “tomati” to the Europeans, tomatoes weren’t really indigenous to Italy. They were originally discovered by the Spanish Conquistadors during their journey to South America. Its first traces in Italy were found during 1548 in Tuscany. During the 16th-17th century, its potential in cooking was realized by the people. In fact, it became the next best thing to add flavour to the dishes after Italian spices. Today, they have become an integral part of Italian cuisine for its myriad uses. Anyone can prepare the signature dishes of Bella Italia with the best Italian tomatoes at home.
There is a popular misconception that the only contribution of famous Italian tomatoes in the cuisine is that they are used for preparing delicious sauces whereas the truth is that Italian cuisine owes its global reputation to tomatoes. Talking about the different types of Italian tomatoes automatically pops up these names- La San Marzano, Mariella, Valgri, Poma Rosa, popular brands known for their excellent tomato products. Buy Italian tomatoes offered by these world-famous brands to preserve the authenticity of your homemade Italian dishes.
Famous Italian Tomatoes - Types and Uses in Different Dishes
Before shopping for different kinds of Italian tomatoes, go through this useful guide:
1. San Marzano Tomatoes- Just like pizza, San Marzano tomatoes are Italian cuisine’s pride. The perfect pizza sauce cannot be made without these. Remember that they are only available in peeled whole form, cut in half or canned. You can order San Marzano tomatoes online to induce a bittersweet flavour to your delectable dishes.
2. Roma Tomatoes- Whether you want toppings for Bruschetta or prepare a tomato pesto for spaghetti, Roma tomatoes are ideal. Known for their sweet and tangy flavour which guarantees an intense consistency for any preparation.
3. Pomodori Secchi- These types of Italian tomatoes are more on the savoury side in terms of flavour. Also known as Italian sun dried tomatoes, they are stored in olive oil and need to be drained before serving in soups, salads or pasta.
4. Cherry Tomatoes- This particular variety thrives during summer because of the favourable temperature. We all know salads are nutritious. Italian cherry tomatoes are there to make it delicious. They are juicier on the inside alongside being a flawless combination of sweet and tangy. Other than that, they are also added to chicken skewers. Buy canned cherry tomatoes online to introduce the perfect balance of flavours in your dishes.
5. Piennolo- Having its origin in the Italian region of Naples, this type of Italian tomatoes is best described as a small grape tomato which has an important part to play in making pizza and pasta sauces. They’re sliced in half and stored in cans with their skins. Recognized for their richly sweet and bold flavour, your kitchen treats are sure to get an earthy essence from these.
These are some of the best Italian tomatoes that have successfully revolutionized Italian cuisine with their distinct flavours and essence. You may buy different types of tomatoes online or get them from the local bazaar to whip up yummy Italian delicacies every now and then!
Creamy Pomodoro Sauce Gnocchi: Recipe
- Canned San Marzano tomatoes
- Packaged potato Gnocchi
- 1/2 diced yellow onion
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 3-4 cherry- sized cut-up mozzarella balls
- Red pepper flakes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup of heavy cream
- 2 stems of rosemary
- Black pepper (ground)
- Kosher salt
Steps to Prepare
Garnish with basil leaves and serve it hot!
Where to Buy Italian Tomatoes Online?
Still searching for a place to buy the best Italian tomatoes online? The one and only destination is Italian Food Online Store that presents to you the finest products such as Arrabbiata Tomato Sauce, Diced San Marzano Crushed Tomatoes with Basil Leaf, Roasted Garlic Tomato Sauce, Whole Plum San Marzano Peeled Tomatoes with Basil Leaf by La San Marzano, Italian San Marzano whole tomatoes by Mariella, Sundried Tomatoes Sicilian Style by Polli and chopped & cherry tomatoes in tomato juice by Poma Rosa.
All our products are authentic and imported from the supermarkets in Italy to deliver nothing but the best to our customers from all over the world. Add the desired items to cart and check out to provide shipping and contact information. With the help of easy and safe payment methods like PayPal and credit card transactions, placing an order on our site will be a cakewalk. We provide free shipping services for non-perishable and heavy items on orders over $69 all across the US (no HI, PR, VI, AK)!