The journey to make a great pizza begins with the right dough. Buckle up! You can now achieve the perfect Italian pizza dough at home using Italian 00 flour and a simple, authentic pizza recipe.
Have you ever wondered why an authentic Italian-style pizza crust tastes different from pizza bases in your neighborhood bakery? Ask an expert chef, and you come to know that dough is the secret to a delicious pizza. A delicate, extraordinarily flavorful dough gives the famous rustic taste to Italian pizza, or, more specifically, Neapolitan pizza.
Why Buy Italian 00 Flour
In Italy, flour is classified as 1, 0, or 00. The number refers to how finely the flour is grounded and how much of the bran is removed. The 00 is a highly refined Italian pizza flour. It makes the crust tender and light crispy.
In addition to finely ground, Caputo Tipo 00 flour has a lower gluten content than other flours. Gluten is a natural protein that creates the elasticity in a crunchy loaf of bread. The 00 flour is made from the finest grains with just 10-12.5% gluten.
The 00 flour for pizza gives the dough a super-smooth texture and creates a great crust with a layer of crispness and a bit of chewiness.
Making Pizza with Italian 00 Flour
- Italian pizza flour 00 (5 cups)
- Flour for dusting
- Extra virgin olive oil (1 tablespoon)
- Dry yeast (1 ½ teaspoon)
- Cold water (2 ¼ cups)
- Sea salt (1 ½ teaspoon)
- Heirloom tomatoes
- Green onions
- Smoked mozzarella cheese
- Arrabiata sauce
- Caramelized onions
- Ricotta meatballs
- Fresh basil
- Sauteed mushrooms
Once you have found genuine Italian flour for pizza and collected all the required ingredients and toppings, you can move to the process of making your pizza.
- Begin with preheating the oven for at least 45 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add the Italian 00 flour, sea salt, and dry yeast. If you are using a mixer, ensure you blend the ingredients on low speed. When incorporated, add cold water to the mix. Now, make the dough. Ensure it is smooth and sticky. Also, make sure that the dough does not stick to the bowl.
- If dough sticks to the sides of the bowl, then sprinkle in a little flour. And if the dough is dry, then add a few drops of water to it.
- Take the dough and cut it into multiple round pieces. On an oiled cookie sheet, place these pieces and drizzle 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. Cover the pieces with a plastic wrap and leave them at room temperature for at least two hours.
- Over the kitchen counter, sprinkle a little bit of flour. Now, take a piece of round dough and press it down using your fingers. Keep it at least 1/2" thick and in a circle. Now, stretch the dough to around 10" in diameter. Perform this step carefully to make sure you do not tear the dough.
- When the dough is clean and ready, pour a few spoons of pizza sauce (2-3 tablespoons) in the center. Now, use the back of the spoon to slowly spread the sauce around.
- Add smoked mozzarella cheese and other toppings to it. (Ensure you are not adding too many toppings keeping in mind that it is a thin crust).
- When the toppings have been added, the next step is to slide your pie into the preheated oven. Here, the oven must be at least 525-degree hot. Bake the pie for at least seven minutes or until it is golden brown on the edges.
- Remove it from the oven. Add fresh basil and Parmigiano. Let it rest for a few minutes and allow the cheese to set.
- Your pizza is ready to be served!
Chef’s Note: Ensure that you preheat the oven with the pizza stone in it for around 45 minutes. Also, if you are using heirloom tomato slices for toppings, make sure the tomatoes are firm slices, otherwise, they may make the pizza watery.
How to Buy Genuine 00 Flour Online
Many online stores claim to offer real, high-quality 00 four products. However, the best Italian 00 flour is made by famous food brands from Bella Italia. Also, buy 00 flour online from an Italian store that has been selling genuine products made by Italy-based brands.Get the right flour product, collect fresh ingredients, and make an authentic Italian pizza at home. Happy cooking!