The season of spook and fright is here, and our food experts are ready to make it less bitter for you. With our Italian Halloween sweets recipes, win the hearts of kids (and their parents) in the neighborhood this year. From cookies and cupcakes to brittles, you will find unique Halloween-special recipes for the sweet-toothed here.
Are you planning to throw a Halloween party this year? We have you covered with our special Italian-style Halloween party sweets for the spooky season that will win the hearts of your guests. Even if you’re not throwing one, be prepared for the trick or treat by stocking up on these easy-to-make sweets. The little ones will love them, and so will the adults!
Recipe 1: Orange & Pumpkin-spiced Shortbread Cookies
- All-purpose flour - 500gr
- Cold butter - 250gr, cut into small cubes
- Confectioners sugar - 200gr
- Egg yolks - 4
- 1 orange zest
- Pumpkin spice - 1 tsp
- Orange food gel
- Italian hazelnut chocolate, melted
- Blend flour and cold butter in a food processor for about 30 seconds, until you have a fine but sandy texture. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 360F/180C/160C fan.
- Then in a large bowl, arrange the mixture. Add the flavoring and confectioners sugar and mix well. Then, make a pit in the mixture and put the egg yolks.
- Mix until you have an even dough. You will have to work very quickly with the ingredients to avoid lumps.
- If the dough becomes too sticky and warm to roll, refrigerate it for 5 minutes.
- Then between two sheets of parchment paper (½ inch thick), roll the dough.
- Take Halloween themed cookie cutters to cut into pieces.
- Take a baking tray, covered with parchment, and place the cookies. Chill in the refrigerator for 7 minutes. The cookies will stay in their shape while baking if refrigerated.
- Bake until lightly golden and fragrant (for about 10 mins).
- Allow to cool. Then, decorate with melted hazelnut chocolate and food gel. Serve warm, or refrigerate for later use.
Recipe 2: Instant Halloween Chocolate & Orange Cupcakes
- Chocolate cake mix - 1 box, store-bought
- Chocolate chips - 1 cup
- Orange juice (in place of water for cake mix)
- All-purpose flour - 1 teaspoon
- Orange and lemon jellies* - 1 cup diced (about 5 ounces)
- Powdered sugar - 2 cups
- Butter - 1 stick (1/2 cup), softened
- Orange juice - 2 tablespoons
- Orange - 1, zested
- Orange jellies - 1/5 cup finely diced, for garnish
*Orange and lemon jellies, only $3.98, are great options of Halloween candy to give to trick-or-treating kids in the neighborhood. You can also buy a jumbo Halloween gift basket to save more!
- Follow the package instructions to mix the chocolate cake mix. Use orange juice instead of water for mixing.
- Toss chocolate chips with the flour and mix them into the chocolate mixture. Add orange jellies to the mixture and fold.
- Use cupcake liners to line the muffin pan. Follow package instructions while baking. Cool cupcakes before frosting (for about 1 hour) on a wire rack.
- Except for the orange jellies, combine all the frosting ingredients in a medium bowl. Beat until smooth.
- On top of each Halloween chocolate cupcake, place about 1 tablespoon of frosting. Top with orange jellies for a tangy twist.
Recipe 3: Easy Halloween Candy - Apricot Almond Brittle
- Chocolate chips - 1/2 cup
- Almonds - 1/2 cup slivered, toasted
- Dried apricots - 1 cup, thinly sliced
- Sugar - 3 cups
- Water - 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil - 1 tsp., to grease the cookie sheet
- To make the best Halloween candy, use vegetable oil to grease a rimmed baking sheet. Take a small bowl, mix the chocolate chips, almonds, and apricots and toss well. Spread this mixture evenly across the entire baking sheet in a single layer.
- Stir together sugar and water in a large saucepan. Heating over medium-high, stir continuously until sugar dissolves. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes until the sugar thickens into a syrup and turns golden brown.
- Now pour this sugar syrup over the nut mixture on the cookie sheet. Don’t move the sheet after pouring hot sugar. Let the mixture cool for an hour. Then chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Break these delicious Halloween party sweets into pieces.
- Keep brittles in a large dish for visitors.