Meatballs are so last year! Of course we’re kidding- meatballs are a delicious food that will be treasured forever. But we do definitely have something today that offers a whole new take on meatballs. Want to know the twist? They have no meat in them at all. No, we haven’t substituted in a fake meat or even any ingredients aimed at copying meat? Instead we’ve opted for the delicious blend of ricotta and spinach.
These delicious little balls can proudly sit atop any bowl of pasta, but they can also be enjoyed in a number of different ways. As appetizers they can go great with a glass of white wine, or as a tasty treat in your little one’s lunchbox! Check out this recipe for spinach and ricotta balls and let us know if you still want to go back to the meaty version!
What You’ll Need
- ½ pound of washed spinach
- ½ pound fresh ricotta cheese
- 2 ounces Grana Padano cheese
- ¾ cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 clove of garlic
What You’ll Do
- Heat your oil and your whole garlic clove in a pan on high heat for 5-6 minutes.
- Place your spinach in the pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Once cooked remove from heat and press tightly to remove all excess water.
- Coarsely chop your spinach with a knife.
- Pour your ricotta into a bowl and try to press out any extra water.
- Add your spinach and your grated Grana Padano cheese to the bowl
- Season it with salt and mix thoroughly.
- Add in your breadcrumbs and continue stirring.
- Beat your egg, salt and pepper in a bowl and set aside.
- Pull apart pieces of your spinach dough and form small balls with your hands.
- Dip each dough ball into the mixture of beaten egg until all sides have been touched.
- In a separate plate, dip your wet dough balls into breadcrumbs.
- Roll them around thoroughly to get breading on all sides.
- Place them one at a time on your backing sheet.
- Once you have about 20-25 spinach and ricotta balls you should have used all of your dough.
- Place your baking sheet in a preheated oven at 375 degrees and allow to cook for about 20 minutes.
- Once done, carefully remove from the bottom of the pan and serve very hot!