Spaghetti with clams is one of the most traditional dishes originating from the Campania region. This dish has been made 1,001 different ways, but what we are describing to you is the traditional recipe from the Campania region. Campania is the perfect Italian town to enjoy this dish. It is nestled into the seaside cliffs of Italy and has a rich history of fisherman and the delightful recipes that accompany their bounty.
This dish is a favorite for Sundays, since it’s preparation is rather simple. It is traditionally made using thicker spaghetti noodles but, for those that prefer a thinner pasta, vermicelli can be used instead. For hundreds of years clams have been used in this coastal region’s cuisine. They are easy to hunt for fisherman and add an incredible flavor to whatever they are cooked with. This recipe also leaves the shells on the clams for an authentic experience!
What You’ll Need
- 2.5 pounds of clams
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 bunch of parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil to taste
- Coarse sea salt rocks to use for the clams
What You’ll Do
- Start by putting your clams in a strainer and placing them under cold running water. Look for shells that are broken or empty and discard them before continuing
- Beat each clam against a hard surface. The ones that open will expose themselves as being full of sand. The ones that remain closed are good to use
- Place your clams in a bowl filled with warm water and plenty of coarse salt. You are attempting to recreate salt water here.leave them sitting for 2-3 hours.
- In a saucepan heat a bit of olive oil
- Chop your garlic clove finely and add it all to the pan with simmering oil. Mix it around and let the garlic cook
- Place your clean and open clams into the hot pan and cover with the lid.
- Let your clams simmer on the heat for several minutes, covered, on on high
- Stir your clams around the pan until all of them have fully opened
- Turn off the stove and separate the clam juice from the clams. Put both contents into separate bowls
- Cook your spaghetti in boiling salt water and drain halfway through cooking
- Pour the spaghetti back into the pot and add the clam juice as well as a bit of the water it was being cooking in previously.
- Cover and allow to continue cooking as normal
- Once the noodles have reached your desired level of softness, add the clams and the parsley, which you will have finely chopped.
- Place the entire dish back onto the heat one more time and then serve hot!
You can buy all the ingredients at any Italian grocery store near you!