Although the Italian cuisine is cherished by people all over the world, there are some myths that need to be busted. For instance, it’s not all about pizzas and pastas. There are innumerable items that can make your taste buds happy and have high nutritional value at the same time. That is where one can talk about Italian veggies. An incredible variety of vegetables are grown in different parts of Bella Italia throughout the year.
There are various world-famous brands that offer a wide range of Italian style veggies like sundried tomatoes, capers Italian food or caper bush, bell peppers as well as different products made from them such as sauces, toppings and cream. La Valle, Merlini, Castellino and Tutto Calabria are the few names that deserve special mention. They have truly helped to introduce a twist in Italian dishes.
Different Types of Italian Vegetables and Their Contribution to Italian Cuisine
Tomatoes- We all knew these had to come first. Starting from making sauces to being used as toppings, tomatoes have well established their place in Italian cuisine. If you thought that’s all then wait for more because Italian tomatoes are classified into several types and each has their special attributes that make their dishes unique. To name a few, we have Roma, San Marzano, Pisanello, Pachino etc.
Olives- There isn’t anyone who has not heard of the famous olive oil. This certainly states volumes about the importance of olives in Italian cuisine. From sautéing meat to dribbling on Italian roasted vegetables, the list goes on. Sometimes, whole olives are also used to add a bit of saltiness in sauces. You can buy the best Italian olives from the local bazaar to introduce a little Italian goodness in every yummy dish!
Broccoli- Southern Italy is the home to different unusual types of broccolis. Cime di rapa and Romanesco are some of the popular types. Apart from being highly nutritious, broccolis are used in a number of salads. They’re also used as a topping in polenta.
Italian sweet pepper- This popular variation of chile pepper is used in every Italian dish. From toppings on pizzas to sides with meat- these Italian veggies will surely bring a new flavour to the delicacies.
- Caper Bush- Heard of the creamy and zesty tartar sauce? It is made from caper bush. Not only that, but capers are also used in pastas, salad greens and served with meat dishes. You can buy capers Italian food from online to bring about a tangy flavour in your preparations.
These are some of the popular vegetables in Italy that have enhanced the beauty of Italian cuisine in ways unfathomable!
Roasted Italian Vegetables- How to Prepare?
Best to serve with grilled meat and fish, here is a simple recipe to make Italian roasted vegetables at home-
- Assorted vegetables of your choice- bell peppers, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, carrots
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
Steps to Prepare
- Preheat the oven at 425 degrees to prevent the vegetables from getting soggy. In addition to this, the high temperature will make them crispier.
- Chop up the veggies in identical sizes and toss them in a bowl with two tablespoons of olive oil and Kosher salt.
- Put the vegetables on a baking tray in a single layer, that is lined with parchment paper and roast them for half an hour. Turn them over halfway through it to make sure all sides are done.
Sprinkle some black pepper and serve it in a bowl.
How to Make the Best Panzanella?
- A cup of cherry tomatoes
- A loaf of French baguette (torn)
- One sliced onion
- A cucumber
- 100 grams of the best Italian olives
- Chopped parsley
- Balsamic vinegar
Steps to Prepare
- Take a large bowl and start chopping the cucumber and tomatoes in it.
- Stir the sliced onion and olives with balsamic vinegar and add them to the bowl.
- Additionally, you can also include lemon zest for a tangy flavour.
- Cover the bowl and keep it in the freezer all night to let the flavours settle.
Serve it with the baguette crumbs and chopped parsley on top after seasoning with salt and pepper.
How to Buy the Best Italian Veggie Products Online?
From dark green olives to Calabrian chili peppers, Italian Food Online Store is the ultimate destination of Italian veggies. We offer a variety of items like Artichoke and Tomato Cream by Castellino, Whole Yellow “Datterino” Tomatoes unpeeled in water by Così Com'è, Sauteed Porcini Mushrooms (Porcini Trifolati) by Pronto Fresco, Artichokes Puree by ProntoFresco, Rose Marina Little Fish with Hot Peppers by Tutto Calabria and many more at the best rates for everyone to enjoy the authentic essence of Italian cuisine. Speaking of authenticity, all our products are directly imported from the supermarkets in Italy. Our free shipping services all across the US may also interest you.