The true distinguishing factor between having some friends over for dinner and throwing a dinner party is the presence, or lack thereof, of inspiring appetizers. Coming up with the perfect appetizer idea can be tricky. You want something packed with flavor, something small enough not to ruin people’s appetites, and something that looks attractive sitting atop an appetizer tray. Today’s recipe fulfills all of these requirements and then some! This recipe for Polenta crisps with mushroom and cheese is the perfect appetizer to put together to truly impress dinner guests!
What You’ll Need
- 2 ½ cups of instant polenta flour
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ ounce extra virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- ⅔ pounds Champignon mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- Parsley and chives to taste
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup Grana Padano cheese
What You’ll Do
- Pour your water, oil, and salt into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Pour in your instant polenta flour and mix vigorously to avoid lumps
- Allow to cook for about 10 minutes or until thick and compact
- Pour your hot polenta into a pan and spread a layer evenly across the bottom. It should be about a quarter inch thick
- Put the tray in the refrigerator and allow to rest
- Cut your cleaned mushrooms into thin slices
- Thinly chop your parsley, chives and garlic
- Place your chopped garlic in a pan and allow to cook before adding your parsley, chives, and mushrooms.
- Remove your polenta from the refrigerator and cut it into squares about two inches long.
- Pour some oil into a pan and bring it to about 350 degrees, very hot.
- Fry a few rectangles at a time for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Pour your milk into another saucepan and bring it to a light boil
- Add in your grated Grana Padano and cook on medium for about 10 minutes.
- Whisk constantly until thick and creamy
- Pour a teaspoon of your cheese mixture onto the polenta rectangle and top with your mushroom mixture
- Continue this process with each of your polenta crisps.