If you haven’t tried chocolate torrone yet, you’re in for a treat. Torrone is an incredibly tasty Italian Christmas delicacy that’s present in every holiday season. Christmas eve would never be complete without the cutting of a huge bar of Italian torrone chocolate or any torrone and sharing it to the entire family for the members to enjoy.
Needless to say, one of Italy’s favourites is a bar of creamy chocolate stuffed with hazelnuts torrone. Who wouldn’t love chocolates, right? Torrone is also known as the Italian nougat. This delicious treat has many origin stories.
Most of the time, torrone is made up of egg whites, nuts (almonds specifically for almond torrone), honey, and some cane sugar. As a matter of fact, Toblerone, Mars, and other popular commercial candy companies based their recipes in the traditional Italian soft torrone, pistachio torrone and even the regular torrone.
Torrone varies in texture. Some kinds of torrone available in the market are Italian soft torrone, and there are also ones that are hard in texture. The texture depends on how high the temperature is set when cooking the sugar. The higher the temperature, the harder the texture of torrone. Although you can buy Italian torrone in some online market, you can also create yours at home.
Here’s a simple recipe that you can follow for your homemade Italian nougat (torrone) for this year’s holiday.
The ingredients for this recipe are the following:
- 1 cup of white sugar
- ½ lb honey
- 4 tbsp of water, divide it into 2
- One ¾ cup of cocoa (unsweetened)
- Egg whites from 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- Ostia wafers
- One ¼ lb of hazelnuts, a bit toasted
Here’s how to make a chocolate torrone.
Ostia wafers are the thin pieces (as thin as a sheet) of unleavened wheat bread. Ostia can be bought in some online Italian import store, Italian deli’s, and some candy making shops.
- So, first things first, you need to line 2-3 loaf pans with a size of 6 x 8 inches. Put the wafer in each pan and set aside.
- Put honey on a double boiler with boiling water.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly until it produces a caramelized honey product. This typically takes around 45 minutes to an hour.
- After that, combine two tablespoons of water and a cup of sugar in a small saucepan. Slowly boil the mixture until it caramelizes.
- Next, beat the egg whites in a bowl until it becomes stiff.
- Create a mixture of stiff egg whites and honey. Mix it well until it’s caramelized.
- Add the caramelized sugar mixture in the egg whites-honey mixture, and stir it well.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 tbsp of sugar, 2 tbsp of water, and cocoa. Cook it until the substance becomes creamy.
- Combine nuts and the cocoa mixture to the egg white mixture and stir it well.
- When done, add the torrone mixture into the wafer-filled pans. Fill the pans with the torrone mixture of 2 inches deep.
Add another sheet of wafer on top of the mixture and press it to the surface. Ensure that no air bubble is left in the middle of the wafer and the torrone mixture.
Give it time to cool.
- When it’s already cool, remove the torrone from the pan. If you put a waxed paper before the mixture, remove it before slicing.
- Cut it into two rectangular shapes and wrap each piece with a waxed paper for storage.
Chocolate torrone is now ready to be served.