Great dishes start with great ingredients. In fact, some of the best dishes are made by combining the freshest, purest ingredients with only a bit of preparation. Our recipe for Impepata di Cozze is very Italian in this way. Ingredients and flavors from the Italian seaside offer ultimate richness and remind one of a summer evening spent in the Mediterranean.
Impepata di Cozze is a dish of fresh cooked mussels garnished with traditional Italian specialties and best served alongside a crispy bit of rustic bread. Italy has some of the best rustic bread, often fresh cooked by local artisans. Although your at home recipe may not incorporate this specific bread, use it as a guideline when selecting your loaf.
Impepata di Cozze is a beloved dish among Neapolitan, a region in the south of Italy, families. For how incredible and complex this dish tastes, you’ll be shocked at the simplicity of ingredients and preparation.
What you’ll need
3-4 pounds of fresh sourced Mussels
2 cloves of garlic
Oil to taste
Several pinches of fresh parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
1 loaf of day-old rustic bread
- Remove your mussels from packaging and place in a strainer under cold water. Scrub the outsides of the mussels with a gentle brush to remove any surface dirt from the ocean. You can also simply rub the mussels against one another to remove excess debris.
- Remove from the strainer and place clean mussels in a bowl of room temperature water.
- In a pan combine a few tablespoons of olive oil with your freshly peeled garlic cloves.
- Allow your garlic to simmer until browned on all sides. Remove your mussels from the water and place them in the hot pan.
- Cover the pan with a lid and allow to cook on high heat. Look to see that the mussels are opening. Once all musself have opened reduce the heat.
- Once the musself have opened completely, remove the lid and add salt, pepper, and chopped parsley.
- Put the lid securely back on the pan and shake together until the salt, pepper, and parsley have been fully combined with the mussels.
- Thinly slice rustic bread loaf and coat with a thin layer of oil.
- Place bread in the oven to broil until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve the mussels still piping hot with a side of toasted rustic bread.
Enjoy this recipe and grab more Italian seafood recipes from us!