Pizza is one of the best loved foods in the entire world, and one of the reasons for that is it can be prepared in literally thousands of different ways, according to the tastes of the particular consumer. However, most of those variations are achieved through adding all kinds of different toppings to the foundation component, which is the pizza dough.
If you're wondering where to buy 00 flour, the best source will be an Italian grocery store, such as the Italian Food Online Store. Here you'll find virtually everything you might expect to see at an Italian supermarket, and with these ingredients you'll be able to prepare authentic Italian food for your entire family and any guests you entertain.
Besides your 00 flour and all the ingredients you need for pizza, you can purchase pasta from Italy, Old World marinara sauce and eggplant tomato sauce, plum tomatoes, and all the other favorite Italian touches that can make your meals into masterpieces.
Making a world-class Italian pizza
As you might expect, the one component of an Italian pizza that you absolutely have to get right is the pizza dough. Not only does it provide a base for all the other ingredients, but it delivers texture to the dish and it brings all the other flavors together in a very satisfying manner.
If you like, you can use Caputo gluten-free flour, but you should try to procure Caputo 00 flour if possible, so as to start with the very best. This particular type of flour is used to make most Italian pasta, and that's why it all tastes so good. When it comes to adding your pizza toppings, you should definitely include pizza sauce and mozzarella, but after that you're free to incorporate anything which you find particularly appealing, for instance pepperoni, ham, olives, onions, etc.
Ingredients you'll need:
- 600 ml of warm water,
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt,
- 2 teaspoons of sugar,
- 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil,
- 3 tablespoons of fresh yeast,
- 7 cups 00 flour
- First, you'll need to add the yeast into a medium-sized bowl with the warm water, and stir it until you see that it's dissolved.
- Set aside a small portion of your flour, then form the rest of it into a volcano shape on the table, then shape a crater in the middle and pour the warm water/yeast mixture into it.
- Knead this for about 10 minutes, until your dough has become elastic and smooth, all the while keeping your surface lightly floured.
- Apply the olive oil to the inside of another bowl and place the dough in the bowl, leaving the top of your dough slightly oiled.
- Cover the bowl, and set it aside for about five hours.
- After the dough has rested, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Divide the dough into two sections, and let them rest for an additional 30 minutes.
- Then you can roll each of the two sections into a 12" disc, and at this time you'll have to decide how thick you want your crust to be. Keep in mind that the yeast will cause your crust to rise a bit as it bakes.
- Then you can transfer the dough onto an oiled baking pan or cookie sheet.
- Now you can add on your pizza sauce, and brush the edges of the crust lightly with olive oil.
- Bake both pizzas for about 10 minutes, then retrieve from the oven and add the mozzarella, and any other ingredients you want on top.
- Bake the pizzas until the cheese has melted and the crust is golden brown.
You should lift up the bottom of the pizza to see if the bottom has been properly browned as well. If the pizzas have been baked to perfection, you can remove them from the oven. To add a genuine Italian touch, you can garnish the pizzas with some basil leaves, and then serve to your suitably impressed family members or dinner guests.
Enjoy and don't forget to share with your friends!