If you have ever had the pleasure of enjoying true, hot, gooey Gnocchi, you know what an addictive substance it can be. This potato pasta consists of these small, delightful pillows of flavor. They are often drowning in incredibly rich sauces. There are a wide variety of sauces that one can enjoy gnocchi with. Some enjoy to drench their delicious gnocchi in pesto sauces teeming with fresh garlic, others love to drizzle a truly Italian tomato sauce upon them, while other prefer to focus on the pure perfection that is gnocchi by simply dousing it in extra virgin olive oil. Regardless of how you choose to enjoy your gnocchi it is important that you use a truly Italian recipe for creating the actual gnocchi. Here’s our recipe for handcrafting some excellent, authentic gnocchi at home.
What you’ll Need
- 2 potatoes. We recommend the Russet variety.
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 egg
Now you might be astounded to learn that these three ingredients are all it truly takes to create gnocchi. We recommend having salt and pepper on hand to taste.
What you’ll Do
- Peel all of your potatoes, removing any imperfections.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil
- Add peeled whole potatoes to gently boiling water
- Cook for about 15 minutes. Potatoes should be tender but still firm
- Drain, cool, and mash using either a fork or a potato masher
- Combine one cup mashed potato, one egg, and two cups flour in a large mixing bowl
- Knead firmly until dough forms a ball
- Shape your dough into a large snake. That is, create one very thick noodle with your dough
- On a floured surface cut your dough into half inch segments
- Bring another large pot of salted water to a boil
- Drop in your gnocchi pieces gently into the water. Let them dance in the boiling water for 3-5 minutes
- You will know gnocchi are done when they have all risen to the surface.
- Drain them and let cool.
You have officially made gnocchi! Now comes the fun part, deciding what to dress them with. These potato pasta pieces pair really nicely with various Italian cheeses. Parmesan cheese is a common cheese to shred atop your gnocchi. Another delightful cheese that one can enjoy with gnocchi is gorgonzola. Naturally, the most famous Italian cheese of all, mozarella, is a typical favorite alongside gnocchi.
Gnocchi are an Italian favorite. This potato pasta is also surprisingly simple to create!