Gelato bites combine a little bit of everything that people love in a sweet or dessert. These bite sized tasty treats incorporate delicious, fresh Italian gelato in the traditional style. Instead of enjoying the gelato from a bowl or cone, as one typically does, these mouthfuls of gelato are surrounded by a hard chocolatte exterior and often have several other sweet ingredients added in. One of the most fun things about this recipe is the freedom it inspires in its cooks. When you have mastered the basic components of the recipe, namely the gelato and the hard chocolate exterior, the sky is the limit in terms of customization. We have heard of people adding everything from nuts to berries and coconut to caramel filling. We encourage you to first master the recipe below and, once you feel confident making these gelato bites, spread your wings and start adding things that your particular guests will enjoy most.
What You’ll Need
- 2-3 cups of your favorite gelato. For this recipe we will not include the preparation instructions for the gelato itself.
- 1 cup of dark chocolate, to be melted
- ¼ cup of cornflakes or similar
- Several shelled pistachios
- Pinch of hazelnut crumbles
- 2 tablespoons of coconut flakes, sweetened
What You’ll Do
- Cover a baking sheet or deep pan with parchment paper, covering the entire sheet
- Take a rectangular mold, a shape with four sides but no bottom, and place it in the center of your baking sheet.
- Spoon or scoop your chosen gelato into the mold. You can opt for a store bought gelato or ice cream for this or you can take on the added challenge of creating homemade gelato for the recipe
- Cover the entire surface area evenly with a layer of your ice cream about an inch thick.
- Put your ice cream into the freezer and allow to harden for 2 hours or more
- Remove from the freezer and remove the mold, leaving your gelato laying squarely in your baking sheet
- Take a knife and cut your ice cream into 1 inch by 1 inch squares. Separate each piece slightly from one another
- Return to the freezer and allow to harden for another hour or two
- In a bowl, crush your corn flakes and let stand
- In a separate bowl place all of your chocolate. It can be in chip or bar format. Monitor the microwave as it begins to melt
- Add your crushed cornflakes to your melted chocolate and mix until well combined
- One at a time, put an ice cream cube onto your fork and submerge into your melted chocolate. Be sure to cover all sides of your ice cream. Once fully coated, bang your fork against the side of your bowl to remove any excess chocolate
- Repeat this process with each ice cream bite. After a piece has been covered, return it to your parchment paper covering your baking sheet
- While the chocolate is still melty, take the toppings we have recommended and gently sprinkle them atop your desserts
- Once all are covered, return them to the freezer and let harden for another hour. Now, they will be ready to serve!
We all love chocolate, and we all love ice cream. Well, how about a delicious, bite-sized dessert that marries these two perfectly? Check out this recipe for a simple and fun summer treat!