Very popular among the dukes and lords of 15th century Italy, the Panettone cake has its origin in the beautiful city of Milan. Just like its flavour, this dessert has a rich culinary history. Legends have it that this cake was made from leftover ingredients after the Duke’s chef burned the dessert. Traditionally, serving someone the Panettone Italian cake is a kind gesture. It is a typical festive dessert that is enjoyed particularly during Christmas and New Year’s holidays. Merrymaking in Italy remains incomplete if one doesn’t buy Panettone cake during these festivals.
Earlier known as the “luxury cake”, the key ingredients of the Panettone cake are flour, yeast, sugar and salted butter. It is more like a sweetened and fluffy loaf of bread. After curating for hours, the perfect sourdough is prepared which is baked into a dome-shaped cake with a delicate buttery taste, yet a fine airy texture. You can shop for different flavours of Panettone cake online for the holidays at great prices.
However, you can make these tasty Italian delicacies at home. Here are the easy recipes of Pumpkin Panettone cake and Tiramisu Panettone using simple ingredients.
Recipe- Traditional Pumpkin Panettone
- 1 cup of pumpkin puree
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 2 packets of rapid action dry yeast
- 5 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1/2 cup of milk (pre-heated)
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
Steps to Prepare the Pumpkin Panettone Cake
For the dough:
- Take a bowl and mix the pre-heated milk with yeast and 1/4th of the total sugar.
- Cover it and keep it aside for about 10 minutes, until it forms a foamy texture.
- In another bowl, mix 3 cups of all-purpose flour, remaining sugar, salt, nutmeg, 1/4th cup of butter and cloves. Whisk it until the ingredients are mixed properly.
- Remember to whisk an additional two cups of flour in another bowl separately.
For the puree:
The pumpkin puree needs to be dehydrated properly. To absorb the excess moisture, place it on a lipped insulated cookie sheet and put paper towels on it.
- Set the dried pumpkin aside after 10 minutes.
For the cake:
Take the first bowl of whisked flour and create a hole in the centre with your fist to add the yeast mixture, puree and beaten eggs in it. Mix them well to create a sicky constituency.
Add the additional flour from the second bowl slowly (1/2 cup at a time) and whisk properly.
After this, it is time to knead. Keep the entire mixture on a dried surface and knead it for about 10 minutes. Keep adding tablespoons of butter to it as you continue. The end result will be a ball of all the ingredients.
In a well-greased bowl, place the dough and toss it. Set it aside for a couple of hours.
After it doubles, punch it down and knead with raisins. Set it aside for another hour.
- It is time to bake the dough at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes in a fast baking oven.
Glaze the top with a tablespoon of butter and serve the wholesome Pumpkin Panettone Italian cake after cooling for about half an hour.
Recipe- Classic Tiramisu Panettone
- 800 grams of panettone (You can buy Panettone cake online from Panettone Buy Online)
- 1 cup of whipped cream (250mL)
- 400 grams of mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup of icing sugar
- 2 cups of brewed coffee
- 1 oz of baking semi-sweet chocolate
Take a bowl and beat the whipped cream until it forms stiff peaks.
Mix the mascarpone cheese properly in another bowl, with icing sugar and beat until the consistency becomes light and fluffy.
After that, gently combine the whipped cream with the whipped mascarpone to form a single constituency.
Dip the panettone cake (cut up into fingers) inside the brewed coffee and lay them on a baking dish (side by side) to form the base of this dessert.
- Top it off with an even layer of the whipped cream and mascarpone mixture. Repeat the same procedure with panettone fingers and cream.
Drizzle the top with semi-sweet baking chocolate and savour this sumptuous Christmas delicacy. You can also try this recipe with Granducale Panettone.Check out the various flavours available online and buy Panettone cake to prepare more of these mouth-watering desserts. If you love fruitcake, you can try this Panettone Holiday Fruitcake recipe that is easy and quick to make and is the perfect dessert for the holiday season. Also, packed Panettone cakes available on Italian Food Online Store taste just as good as mom-made. Shop now!