The Dutch word “koekje” referred to small cake. The roots of “cookie” lie there. Earliest remnants of cookies date back to 7th century AD in Persia which was, incidentally one of the first countries to cultivate sugar. They were consumed by the royalty and better known as “lavish cakes”. As years went by, they became the ideal travel food because they could be carried easily and stayed fresh for quite a long time. At present, they are a loved delicacy all over the world and have been modified into different types by different countries. You can shop for all kinds of bakery cookies online offered by popular brands at great prices.
The brands like Vicenzi, Mulino Bianco, Doria and Paves deserve special mention because they bring to us some of the best cookies of all times. If you want to try local bakery Italian cookies, search for Italian bakery near me to come across the best few options in the vicinity.
Different Types of Italian Cookies & Their Specialty
A well-stocked Italian bakery is bound to have a great variety of Italian Cookies Pastries and other fancy desserts. Here are a few all-time favourites from Bella Italia:
Biscotti Cookies- Discovered in the mid-1850s by Antonio Mattei, Biscotti cookies are the perfect choice to start your mornings, accompanied by a hot cup of espresso or milk. They are also known as Cantucci and are actually twice baked.
Sicilian Sesame Cookies- Popularly known as Biscotti Regina, these traditional Sicilian cookies are crunchy and light. They have a toasted savoury flavour and are best known for the perfect balance of sugar i.e., “not too sweet” sweet.
Italian Hazelnut Cookies- These are typical sandwich cookies with a dollop of chocolate or hazelnut stuffed between two hard layers. Better known as Baci di Dama, they are loved for their buttery outer layer and the delicate stuffing inside.
Espresso Florentines- Having a rich toffee essence, these cookies are most certain to give a “melt in the mouth” feeling to everyone. The thin and delicate texture that is infused with a dash of crunchiness is noteworthy.
Mostaccioli Cookies- Known to be the original Christmas cookies, these items have evolved a lot since the 300 BC. Today there is a unique Mostaccioli cookies recipe at every house in Italy. The secret to create these delightfully rich and savoury holiday cookies is the proper use of distinct winter spices.
You can buy Italian bakery cookies online from popular food stores. These yummy bakery Italian cookies can also be purchased at the local bazaar. Simply, search for the best Italian bakery near me and get a list of the most preferred options instantly.
Recipe for Italian Rainbow Cookies
Steps to Prepare-
- Take a stand mixer and put the stick of unsalted butter, almond paste and sugar in it. Mix it until it is smooth and lump-free.
- Put it in a bowl with the remaining unsalted butter and whisk until smooth.
- Add the egg yolks and milk together in it to form a diluted mixture. Meanwhile, whip the egg whites in a separate bowl until it forms stiff peaks.
- Fold it in flour and divide the batter in three bowls.
- In the first two bowls, add the red and green food colourings separately.
- Take a greased parchment-lined baking pan and spread them out evenly. Bake them for 10 to 12 minutes and let it cool.
- Spread the raspberry jam on top of the green layer and place the third undyed baked layer on it. Repeat this process to create sandwich cookies. You can glaze the top with molten chocolate as well.
- Once all done, freeze the entire batch overnight.
Serve it with chocolate chips on top and a glass of milk.