Surrounded by clear water on all sides, Italy is a fantastic place to relish a variety of seafood dishes. Several sun-kissed coastline cities and small towns have a bounty of unique yet delicious recipes for your appetite. You can prepare and enjoy many of these traditional Italian seafood dishes, even when you are miles away from the gorgeous European country.
There is nothing quite like classic Italian seafood, from stew to salt-roasted shrimp, and hello, Scampi. Whether it’s about making pasta or preparing dishes for Feast of the Seven Fishes, nobody does it better than an Italian. That’s why no one should mess with traditional recipes - they are time-tested and flawless in every way.
Seafood and Italy: Frutti di Mare
Frutti di Mare is an Italian term that can be translated into fruit in the sea, which means seafood. Located gorgeously with a long Mediterranean coastline, Italy is primed to add seafood to its rich cuisine culture.
Internationally, there are many examples of seafood dishes from Italy that chefs are making in their kitchen to make people experience the taste of best Italian seafood. Some of them are prepared for special occasions, while others can be enjoyed anytime.
If you don’t have an Italian nonna around you to teach some secret dishes, then below are easy-to-cook, traditional recipes to try at home:
The shrimp recipe is loaded with fresh vegetables and cajun spice. Although you can choose veggies of your choice, make sure they are stir-fry ones. When cooking the shrimp, ensure you get a single layer. If the pan is overcrowded, then you may overcook the dish. Eliminate the chances of overcooking by making the shrimp in batches.
- Peeled Shrimp (1 1/2 lb)
- Onion (1/2 onion)
- Extra-virgin olive oil (2 tbsp)
- Cloves garlic (2)
- Chopped bell peppers (2)
- Cajun spice (2 tsp)
- Kosher salt
- Lemon juice (1 tbsp)
- Parsley (1 tbsp)
- Ground black pepper
- Take a large skillet and add one tablespoon of olive oil to it. Heat the oil over medium heat before putting onion and bell peppers to it. Now, sauté for around five minutes.
- Add garlic, corn to the skillet and cook for one minute. Transfer the mix to a large bowl.
- Take a pan and put one tablespoon of olive oil into it. Now, add shrimp in a single layer. After that, season it with Cajun spices, salt, and pepper. Now, cook each side of shrimp for at least one minute.
- Add veggies and lemon juice to the pan. Mix them well. Now, garnish with parsley.
Your dish is ready to serve! Ensure it’s enjoyed immediately after cooking.
Seafood salad is a traditional Italian dish that is served throughout the country on Christmas Eve. However, you can also prepare a mixed seafood salad at home to impress your guests. If you are looking for a delicious way to kick off your meal, then add squid, mussels, and crab to it.
- Shrimp, mussels, squid, crabmeat (1 pound each)
- Minced garlic (1/2 teaspoon)
- Flat-leaf parsley (1/4 cup)
- Whole leaves (1 cup)
- Small bulb fennel (1)
- Celery (2)
- Orange bell pepper (1 small)
- Lemon zest (1 teaspoon)
- Lemon juice (1/2 cup)
- Sugar (1/2 teaspoon)
- Salt, ground pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil (3/4 cup)
- Take a large bowl and mix lemon zest, juice, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, and garlic in it. Now, whisk in oil and parsley.
- Boil 4 quarts water, 1/4 cup salt, and 6 tablespoons sugar in a large pot. Now, add the squid and blanch it for a few seconds. To stop it from cooking, shift it to an ice bath. Once done, dry it by putting on paper towels.
- Follow the process to prepare shrimp and mussels for the next step.
- Mix all the items and dress the mixture with crabmeat, bell pepper, fennel, celery, and parsley leaves. Now, season it with pepper and salt.
The best way to enjoy the dish is to serve it immediately after cooking it. If you are planning to eat it later, then keep it covered for a few hours.
You can cook these traditional dishes in your kitchen, using ingredients that come from Italy-based brands. If you want ingredients for your Cajun Shrimp dish or require products for seafood pasta salad with Italian dressing, then Italian Food Online Store is the place to be. Explore the online store and purchase quality products!