Who doesn’t like flavourful Italian cakes? If you enjoy baking, then you must be well-acquainted with Italian cakes and pastries. They are slightly different from the traditional baked items and are usually creamier. In fact, the Italian culture has it that they will start their day with something sweet. However, as the years have passed, the cuisine has developed and modified significantly. The inclusion of various new items has been made. These tasty treats can be enjoyed year-round, at any festival.
Traditions have it that Italian cakes are of seven popular types. To name a few, we have Pandoro Veronese, Panettone, Cassata Alla Siciliana, and many more. All these have different characteristics and ingredients. But there is one thing common between all of these cakes- they all are soft and tasty. Their rich flavors and simple ingredients are a delight to your taste buds. Here, we have given the detailed recipe of the Italian Pandoro cake which is easy to make and great for festive seasons also.
If you’re not a fan of raisins, then Pandoro is the cake for you. The process of baking is very specific and it has a distinct domed shape, so if you’re looking for an easy homemade recipe of authentic Italian Pandoro cake, then we have one for you right here!
Italian Pandoro Cake Recipe
- 2/3 ounce/20 grams active baker's yeast
- 3 cups/300 grams all-purpose flour (divided)
- 5 egg yolks (divided)
- 2/3 cup/120 grams granulated sugar (divided)
- 2 sticks/200 grams unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 whole egg
- 1 lemon (zested)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/3 cup/30 grams powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
STEPS TO PREPARE - PANDORO ITALIAN CAKE
- Preheat the oven to 400 F/200 C. Grease and flour the cake mould with mould-prep ingredients, tap it gently to dust away extra flour.
- Take a large bowl and crumble the yeast into it along with 1/3 cup of flour, 1 of the egg yolks, 1 tablespoon of the sugar, and sufficient water to make a soft dough. Place the dough in the bowl and cover it with a kitchen towel, place it in a warm place for 2 hours and let it rise.
- Sift 1 1/3 cups of flour onto your work surface, mix it with 1/4 cup of the remaining sugar and place the dough on it. Add 3 egg yolks and 3 tablespoons of the butter to it and knead well. Give the dough shape of a ball.
- Dust a large bowl lightly with flour, and place the dough in it. Cover it with a kitchen towel and wait for 2 more hours. This is a secret tip from Italian grandmas to bake the perfect fluffy homemade Italian cake.
- Now mix the balance 1/3 cup flour and 1/4 cup sugar on your work surface and knead it into the dough using whole egg and the remaining egg yolk. Knead well, put it into a floured bowl, cover it with a kitchen towel and wait for 2 more hours.
- Flour your work surface and place the dough on it and add lemon zest and vanilla extract to it. Knead the dough in some cream until it absorbs it completely.
- Place the dough on the work surface and use your rolling pin to bring it in a rectangle shape. Then cut 13 tablespoons butter into small pieces and spread it on the center of the dough sheet.
- Now fold the sheet of dough into thirds, roll it again and let it rest for 30 minutes. Repeat this process twice.
- Now shape the dough into a ball form and place it in the mould, cover the mould with a cloth and place it in a warm place. Wait until the dough rises to the top of the mould, this should take approximately 20 minutes.
- Put it in the oven and bake the Pandoro for 30 minutes, then reduce the heat to 360 F/180 C and bake for another 30 minutes. Remove the Pandoro once it’s baked and place it on a rack to cool.
- Dust it with a lot of powdered sugar before serving.
If you are going for a simple recipe, then the above-mentioned one is perfect. It does not involve many ingredients and can be prepared in minimal time. It is usually baked in a star shape. This traditional Veronese dessert has a culture of being served with powdered icing sugar to represent the snowy Alps.
You just have to hop on to our website that sells classic Pandoro Italian cake, Italian cake Panettone, or Homemade Italian cake, and order one for you and your family. If you want to gift it to someone then you have the option of sending these amazing and lip-smacking Italian gift baskets.You can check out these exciting and exotic Italian Cake Recipes to try something different every weekend at home!