This recipe is as beautiful to look at as it is delicious to eat! The beetroot is one of nature's most intensely beautiful pigments. Partner that with its earthy sweetness and you have a dream root! We’ve chosen to pair this with greek yogurt and risotto- we know it sounds crazy! This recipe offers a completely new way to experience risotto. Many have never tasted a sweeter or vibrantly colored variety before. Since beetroot is an excellent way to celebrate the changing of the seasons, we’ve chosen today’s recipe for beet risotto! This is best enjoyed as an evening fall meal. It would pair well with a full bodied white wine.
What You’ll Need
- 1 ½ cups risotto
- 1 pound of pre-cooked beets
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 liter of vegetable broth
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 shallot
- 2 twigs of thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 ½ tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
What You’ll Do
- Cut half of your beets into thin slices
- Place them in an immersion blender along with a large ladle of vegetable broth
- Blend until completely pureed
- Peel and cut your shallot into small cubes
- Place your oil into a pan on medium heat and add your shallot.
- Allow to brown for several minutes, stirring it consistently.
- Pour in your risotto in the pan and allow to toast for three minutes or so.
- Once toasted, blend with white wine. Allow to cook until the alcohol evaporates.
- Once evaporated, add your vegetable stock one spoonful at a time.
- Continue to ladle more broth into the pan each time the liquid has dried.
- Mix your risotto continuously with a wooden spoon
- After ten minutes of cooking, add half of your beet puree.
- Continue cooking your risotto and beet mixture for another five minutes.
- After five minutes add the remaining beet puree and cook another 5-10 minutes
- Once cooked, remove from heat and add one teaspoon of olive oil
- Cut the remaining pieces of your beetroot into small cubes.
- Once you’ve put your risotto ina serving dish, garnish with greek yogurt on top and the remaining beet cubes
- Garnish finally with thyme and serve hot!