Stuffed peaches make for an incredibly fresh, sweet dessert to serve on a warm evening. When serving these you can almost imagine you are sitting on a Tuscan terrace, sipping an espresso after a delicious dinner and smelling the heat of the sun wafting away. The fact that these desserts are made almost entirely from fruit makes them a great summer treat. The recipe for these peaches has been developed by blending several regional delicacies. We have taken the aspect of several baked fruit recipes, of which there are many in Italian cooking! Though we've used yellow peaches for our recipe, one could also use any large, pitted fruit that has somewhat sturdy flesh.
What You’ll Need
- 1.5 pounds of fresh, medium sized yellow peaches
- ⅔ cups of dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup of Amaretti cookies
- 1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
What You’ll Do
- Rinse and dry each of your peaches and cut them cleanly in half.
- Use a small knife to remove the pit of the peaches
- Cut into the body of the peach and spoon out some of the meat. Take the meat from the peaches and place on a cutting board
- Chop the pulp from the peach very finely to create a very liquidy consistency. Set it aside.
- Take your dark chocolate and chop it very finely until the pieces are almost powdery looking.
- Take another bowl and fill it with your cookies.
- Using your fist, crumble the Amaretti until it is finely crumbled.
- Combine the pulp of your peaches with your Amaretti crumbles completely in a single bowl. The moisture from the peaches should absorb slightly into the cookie crumbles creating a thicker consistency.
- Add the chocolate pieces to your Amaretti and peach combination. Use a fork to combine completely.
- Butter the sides of a baking dish using a paper towel
- Place all of your peach halves onto the baking dish and press them as tightly together as possible.
- Place them with the open side facing up and coat with softened butter
- Stuff your peaches with the filling you have created. Fill them to the point of creating a dome like shape atop each peach.
- Cook in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for one hour
- Remove your peaches from the oven when they are glossy, slightly bubbling, and fragrant.