How to Make Arancini
Arancini di Riso is a traditional Sicilian delight. Sicily is an island off the southern coast of Italy that is in many ways a world unto itself. Their recipes and culinary traditions demonstrate these Italian influences while also respecting the unique Sicilian culture.
Arancini are made by forming plain risotto into a cone snape or the traditional round ball shape. Creamy, fresh mozzarella cheese is always featured in the center.
These small, deep fried delights are also called “Arancini di riso al Telefono” because when you cut into an Arancini and pull it apart, the mozzarella pulls into a long string, sort of like a telephone line.
The word Arancini actually means ‘little oranges’ in Italy. As the outer dough crispens in the deep frier, these small tasty treats resemble petite oranges.
Making Arancini is actually not as difficult as you may think. Give our simple Arancini recipe a try at home!
What You’ll Need
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups (15 oz) Arborio rice
- 4 oz white wine
- 30 oz chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- 1 egg
- mozzarella, cut into 1/2″ to 3/4″ cubes
- Red sauce or Bolognese sauce
- cooked peas (optional)
- all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- more tomato sauce, to serve
- basil leaves, for garnish
- Make the risotto by adding your rice to the heated oil in a large pan.
- Stir vigorously for 1-2 minutes.
- Quickly add white wine while stirring.
- With the heat on high, add the chicken stock a bit at a time,.
- Stir until all the stock is used and rice is cooked, yet still al dente.
- Take your risotto off of the heat, mix in your egg and let cool.
- Put a small ball of rice in hand and flatten it into your cupped hand. This will form the edges of your ball. Don’t make it too thin
- Place a piece of mozzarella, and a bit of tomato sauce in the center of the cupped rice in palm.
- Wrap the rice around the filling and form into a ball.
- Roll he Arancini all in flower
- Roll the ball in beaten eggs
- Now roll your ball through the breadcrumbs
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or pot until very hot.
- Add the Arancini, cooking quickly, turning often so they brown evenly.
This is basically how to make Arancini di Riso. You can make variations on this recipe by cooking your risotto with garlic, mushrooms, and tomato.
These are a great hors d'oeuvres to serve at your next house party of yummy treats throughout the day. Explore more delicious and latest recipes from our recipe section.