Who doesn’t love a delicious pastry fresh from the oven? As the evenings start to cool down and the mist starts to take longer to clear in the morning, people everywhere look to warm pastries to keep them cozy. Today’s recipe is for a treat that’s sure to please everyone. Whether you opt to take them to the office to share with excited coworkers over a cup of coffee, or serve them to satisfied guests after a delicious dinner, these pastries are a perfect treat!
What You’ll Need
- 1 ¼ pounds 00 flour
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons of seed oil
- 3 medium eggs (2 for the dough)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Salt to taste
- ⅓ cup milk chocolate
- ⅜ cups peeled hazelnuts
- 1 whole apple
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- Water to taste
What You’ll Do
- Sift your flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and add your 2 eggs, seed oil, and water
- Use your fingers to blend the ingredients and move onto a baking surface
- Continue working with your hands until it forms a ball of dough
- Wrap your dough in plastic wrap and let stand for 30 minutes
- Coarsely cut your hazelnuts and peel, wash, and chop your apple into chunks
- Pour your apples into a pan with lemon juice and two cinnamon sticks
- Remove your cinnamon after sauteeing for 5 minutes
- Transfer your apples to a bowl and add your hazelnuts. Mix them together well
- Coarsely chop your chocolate into sticks or cubes
- Divide your dough into two portions and roll out with a rolling pin on a baking surface
- Form a large rectangle with your dough and coat in water using a brush.
- Fold one of the long sides of the rectangle into the center. Do the same with the other
- Brush the surface with water again and then fold the long sides in on themselves forming a new, smaller rectangle.
- Let your dough rest for a few minutes before rolling it out with the pin again
- Lay some of your filling (apples, hazelnuts, and chocolate) in a long line along the rectangle.
- Fold your dough over to cover the filling completely.
- Add a row of just chocolate pieces, brushing occasionally with water, and then fold again
- Continue this pattern of filling, folding, chocolate, folding until all ingredients have been used.
- Cut your roll up into four even pieces
- Transfer the pieces to parchment paper on a baking sheet
- You can repeat the same procedure with the other half of your dough
- Brush your turnovers with beaten egg and sprinkle it with powdered sugar
- Cook in an oven preheated to 350 for about 25 minutes!
It may seem daunting to create delicious, made-from-scratch pastries at home. We’re not going to lie, it isn’t super simple, but this recipe will guide you through it!